Here are some low-effort and low-cost ideas that can quickly transform your space:
1. Switch out lampshades and/or finials or change a chandelier
2. Reframe or rearrange artwork
3. Have favorite photos printed on canvas and hang them front and center
4. Swap throws and/or pillows
5. Change a rug or pull it up to expose hardwood or tile floors
6. Take out “high-hat” light in living room for a more ambient atmosphere
7. Give your bookcase a makeover
8. Clear the clutter
9. Switch out bar stools
10. Change drawer knobs and/or cabinet handles
11. Put new towels and/or mats in the bathroom
12. Add a hanging pot holder in the kitchen
13. Sew a fabric band to bottom of shower curtain
14. Change the draperies
15. Add flowers or plants
16. Add accessories like vases, sculptures, candles or photos
17. Lean your artwork rather than hanging it for a way to easily move it later
18. Change slipcovers
19. Use sisal rugs, which are inexpensive and in style
20. Put a decorative plate or bowl in the corners of kitchen counters (where tile meets wall) to increase flow and tie a space together
One of the trickiest parts of buying or selling a home is the negotiation process. Too often when our home is involved our emotions get in the way and the deal can go south quickly. Negotiating is an art. A real estate professional is trained in negotiating but you will need to prepare too. Here are some hints to help you navigate the home sale negotiation process:
Do your homework know your home’s worth, understand the value of your home in the marketplace.
Be realistic about what your home is worth. Much of the work you did to the home was a labor of love and may not have a monetary value.
Be patient, negotiations can take time.
Do not let emotions (greed, pride, anger, or prejudice) get in the way of negotiating the best deal.
Think of your home as “the house”,” instead of “my home.” You have made the decision to move so try to think of the sale as a business transaction.
Take all reasonable offers seriously.
Don’t let a good deal walk away over a few hundred dollars.
Try to look at the deal from the opposite side of the table. This will help you try to see where the potential buyer is coming from.
Most of all, have a positive attitude. Don’t get caught up in the game of negotiating instead remember the goal is to sell your house for a fair price and move on to your next adventure.
Needham MA Real EstateNeedham, MA - $1,349,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:11 - Beds:5 - Baths:5/14 hours agoNeedham, MA - $205,000 - Condo - Garden - Rooms:4 - Beds:1 - Baths:19 hours agoNeedham, MA - $1,600 - Commercial - Year Built:2013 - Acres:0Needham, MA - $1,600 - Commercial - Year Built:2013 - Acres:0
Newton MA Real EstateNewton, MA - $236,701 - Condo - Garden - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:11 hour agoNewton, MA - $1,700 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:12 hours agoNewton, MA - $1,850 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:14 hours agoNewton, MA - $4,795 - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/15 hours ago
Brookline MA Real EstateBrookline, MA - $3,950,000 - Single-Family - Other - Rooms:13 - Beds:5 - Baths:45 hours agoBrookline, MA - $2,800 - Rentals - - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:110 hours agoBrookline, MA - $2,550 - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:2 - Baths:110 hours agoBrookline, MA - $2,600 - Rentals - - Rooms:2 - Beds:1 - Baths:1
RE/MAX Home Team Realty
- Partners Healthcare To Move Charlestown Jobs to Somerville But Not Just Now December 9, 2013When Partners Healthcare announced Thursday, Dec. 5, a plan to consolidate their entire administrative operation in a single site, it appeared workers at the health care's Schrafft Center operation would be packing up their holiday decorations for a long trip to their new "home." […]
- Medical Marijuana Zoning to be Discussed at Tuesday's Board of Selectmen Meeting December 9, 2013Monday: There is an 80 percent chance of sleet with rain, freezing rain and snow. […]
- Block-by-Block Needham: Local Campaigns, Cyber Monday Numbers and Shipping Deadlines December 8, 2013The maps below show part of what Needham looks like, by the numbers and by the block. […]
- Needham Channel Small Business Spotlight: Nigohsian Carpet & Rug December 7, 2013Mark Silverman of the Needham Business Association hosts Meet Your Needham Merchants for The Needham Channel. […]
- Partners Healthcare To Move Charlestown Jobs to Somerville But Not Just Now December 9, 2013
- Wellesley Multifamily Complex Sells For $25.6M December 9, 2013The Newton-based real estate investment firm bought the Linden Square Townhomes complex at 11 Oak St. from an affiliate of Woburn's Eastern Real Estate, an investment and development firm, and partner Boston Residential Group. […]
- COLUMN: Deck The Halls For The Holidays December 9, 2013McElroy has been playing Christmas music nonstop, and if you think this is a bad thing, you might as well be excited to take exams. […]
- Senators: Put cameras on train tracks, engineers December 8, 2013A week after four people died in a New York commuter train derailment, two federal lawmakers proposed Sunday that trains nationwide be outfitted with cameras pointed at engineers and at the tracks. […]
- Doctor Cannabis December 7, 2013This dictate, found in the Shulchan Aruch , piqued the curiosity of Boston geriatrician Yosef Glassman when he was reading about Sabbath rituals on a religious quest nearly two decades ago. […]
- Wellesley Multifamily Complex Sells For $25.6M December 9, 2013
- Tom Brady & Gisele Bundchen -- Building Mega-Mansion from Scratch ... ... December 9, 2013Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen are HAULING ASS on their massive new construction in Brookline, MA -- TMZ has learned, they're employing roughly 100 workers per day to get the job done by this summer ... and we've got pics of the site. […]
- Boston University evaluating its safety procedures after BU research... December 9, 2013Boston University President Robert A. Brown said Wednesday that the university and area officials must re-evaluate their safety procedures after a BU research assistant was stabbed and robbed the night before. […]
- Westboro native, saved by newborn screening 22 years ago, to speak at event marking medical milestone December 9, 2013Madeleine M. Stout, left, of Brookline and her mother, Michelle A. Graveline, display a photo of Madeleine at 8 months old while at Mrs. Graveline's house in Westboro. […]
- Brookline arson yields mystery. Not who did it, but why? December 8, 2013They were just two of many emergency 911 calls on July 26, one suburban and the other in Boston, three miles apart and seemingly unrelated. […]
- Tom Brady & Gisele Bundchen -- Building Mega-Mansion from Scratch ... ... December 9, 2013